Mount Zion Campus-based Awards
Mount Zion Campus-based Awards are allocated from philanthropic funds restricted to specific uses at UCSF Mount Zion in the areas of patient care and medical education/training (research and educational travel funds have separate allocation processes). MZHF’s goal for utilizing these funds is to encourage UCSF Mount Zion Campus programs to identify and address unmet needs, and achieve local and national excellence. Funds requested through this award cycle can be used for core support or start-up, and proposals must describe the program or activity’s value to the UCSF Mount Zion Campus.
- Explicitly benefits underserved communities.
- Based at or in partnership with the UCSF Mount Zion Campus, or shares Jewish roots.
- Embodies one or more of MZHF’s core Jewish values.
- Addresses a compelling San Francisco or UCSF Mount Zion health priority.
- Potential impact of the project is significant.
- Team can successfully complete the project on time/budget.
- Applicant can articulate plan for financial sustainability of project beyond the grant period.
- Eligible projects should be designed to provide, or specifically to enhance, direct patient care or medical education/training services at UCSF Mount Zion [Note: MZHF research funds are not allocated through this award cycle]
- The grant range is $5,000 – $40,000; a detailed budget with justification is required
- This is an annual funding cycle, with projects funded for a one-year period
- Award notification is in early April, with funds available for projects beginning April 1 or later
- To receive funding, the proposal must include a plan for evaluation with both quantitative and qualitative outcomes
- The review process is competitive – not all requests will be funded
- Awardees are required to submit a final report within 1-2 months of the grant period end date which must include data/metrics addressing whether or not the project goals were met. This reporting should be sufficient to determine the benefits derived from the funding (e.g., patient satisfaction survey results; data on numbers of patients served). Itemized expenses of up to $500 may be included in the proposal budget to cover materials for evaluation.
The next submission deadline for Mount Zion Campus-based Awards is December 7, 2023.
An overview of the application form content is here.
To apply for a new or renewal Mount Zion Campus-based Award grant please open a new account or access an existing account to: submit a new request or submit a renewal request.
For further information please contact: MZHF Staff Director
Other Restricted Funding (NOT applied for through the above process)
- Educational travel. MZHF awards small block grants annually to Mount Zion Campus-based departments/divisions; Mount Zion Campus-based faculty, staff and trainees should contact their department/division leader for information about funding after reviewing the guidelines here.
- Research. The majority of MZHF funds restricted for research are competed via the UCSF campus-wide Resource Allocation Program (RAP): https://rap.ucsf.edu/ and open to all eligible* applicants (*PI is part of the Mount Zion community, e.g., lab, research program or clinic located on the MZ Campus, and/or the proposed research project involves MZ patients). For more information about MZHF’s research awards process, contact: MZHF Staff Director or MZHF Board Research Funds Committee Chair
- Community + UCSF Mount Zion Awards. More information about this award category is here.