Community + UCSF Mount Zion Awards
Community + UCSF Mount Zion Awards address unmet health-related needs in San Francisco by supporting projects that originate at, connect with, or relate to UCSF Mount Zion Campus.
- There are two types of award mechanisms:
- One-year grants of up to $75,000 for proof-of-concept projects for MZ Campus-based healthcare-related work in the community. These proof-of-concept projects do not require a community partner, but the intent is to support work that will build toward meaningful engagement with community partners.
- Single or multi-year grants (maximum of three years) of up to $150,000 per year for projects that include Mount Zion Campus-based health professionals working with one or more community partners.
Note: For these proposals, community partners are defined as local nonprofit or municipal agencies that provide services for underserved communities in San Francisco.
- Proposed projects are required to:
- Explicitly benefit an underserved or vulnerable community
- Identify and address unmet health-related need(s) in San Francisco
- Originate at, connect with, or relate to the UCSF Mount Zion Campus
- Embody one or more of MZHF’s core Jewish values
- Demonstrate how the needs and perspectives of the intended beneficiaries have been integrated into the plan
- Include a plan for evaluation with both quantitative and qualitative outcomes
- Priority will be given to proposed projects that:
- Address health equity or other compelling San Francisco or UCSF Mount Zion healthcare priorities
- Demonstrate an innovative understanding of or solution to a compelling need
- Create a model, mechanism or data others can employ
- Can be successfully completed within the proposed time and budget
- Equitably distribute grant resources
- If intended to be an ongoing project, articulate plan for financial sustainability
Application submission is through UCSF Open Proposals
Important Dates and Additional Information:
- Submission dates for FY23-24 TBA: Proposal Concept Submission (Phase 1)
- Submission dates for FY23-24 TBA: Optimization/Full Proposal Submission (Phase 2 – by invitation)
- Award notifications for FY23-24 will be emailed in late November 2023.
- Awardees must submit a final report within 1-2 months of the grant period end date including data/metrics addressing whether the project goals were met. Multi-year projects must submit a report within one month of the end of each project year, with subsequent payments conditional on meeting prior year deliverables.
- For participation questions please contact: MZHF Staff Director. For technical issues please contact Open.Proposals@ucsf.edu.
MZHF will not consider grants for the personal benefit of individuals, for endowments, annual appeals, membership drives, or fundraising events, or for the reduction of operating deficits. The above guidelines apply to the general and specific funds that grant discretion to MZHF’s Board of Directors. Additional limitations and guidelines govern expenditures from restricted and advised funds. Capital requests and non-UCSF Mount Zion-related research requests are discouraged.