Community + UCSF Mount Zion Awards
Community + UCSF Mount Zion Awards address unmet health-related needs in San Francisco by supporting projects that originate at, connect with, or relate to UCSF Mount Zion Campus.
- There are two types of award mechanisms:
- One-year grants of up to $75,000 for proof-of-concept projects for MZ Campus-based healthcare-related work in the community. These proof-of-concept projects do not require a community partner, but the intent is to support work that will build toward meaningful engagement with community partners.
- Single or multi-year grants of up to $150,000 per year (maximum of three years) for collaborative projects between Mount Zion Campus-based health professionals and one or more community partners.
Note: For these proposals, community partners are defined as local nonprofit or municipal agencies that provide services for underserved communities in San Francisco; we are not seeking to fund partnerships that are based on a transactional [e.g., vendor] relationship.
- Proposed projects are required to:
- Explicitly benefit an underserved or vulnerable community
- Identify and address unmet health-related need(s) in San Francisco
- Originate at, connect with, or relate to the UCSF Mount Zion Campus
- Embody one or more of MZHF’s core Jewish values
- Demonstrate how the needs and perspectives of the intended beneficiaries have been integrated into the plan
- Include a plan for evaluation with both quantitative and qualitative outcomes
- Priority will be given to proposed projects that:
- Address health equity or other compelling San Francisco or UCSF Mount Zion healthcare priorities
- Demonstrate an innovative understanding of or solution to a compelling need
- Create a model, mechanism or data others can employ
- Can be successfully completed within the proposed time and budget
- Equitably distribute grant resources
- If intended as an ongoing project, articulate a plan for financial sustainability
Application submission is through UCSF Open Proposals
Important Dates and Additional Information:
- Submission dates: TBD – Proposal Concept Submission (Phase 1)
- Submission dates: TBD – Optimization/Full Proposal Submission (Phase 2 – by invitation)
- Awardees must submit a final report within 1-2 months of the grant period end date including data/metrics addressing whether the project goals were met. Multi-year projects must submit a report within one month of the end of each project year, with subsequent payments conditional on meeting prior year deliverables.
- For participation questions please contact: MZHF Staff Director. For technical issues please contact Open.Proposals@ucsf.edu.